With the heavy rain this season, the mosquito problem in Annapolis has been particularly bad. WBAL-TV 11’s Kim Dacey recently talked to us about local mosquito control issues and how our outdoor pest control services are helping customers get their yards back. In this news segment, Mosquito Joe owner Kurt Godwin talks about ways homeowners can help keep their yards a little more bite-free this summer. Kurt shares some interesting (and somewhat scary) facts, including that just a Pepsi cap of standing water is enough for mosquitoes to breed in. We encourage all Annapolis area homeowners to dump any standing water in their yards to avoid encouraging the mosquito population in your yard to grow. Some tips on ways to do this include:
- Regularly empty ponds, bird baths, fountains, plant pots, buckets, barrels, tarps, toys, pet water dishes or anywhere else that water may gather.
- Walk through the yard after every rain and empty any containers or areas where water has collected. Also watch for puddles where condensation gathers from the AC unit.
- Clean out gutters to avoid standing water. Examine them for clogs and damage that would cause water to collect.
- Make sure there are no low spots under decks where water can hide. Dogs love to make low spots to lie under decks because it’s cool.
- Drill holes in the bottom of tire swings to prevent rainwater from accumulating. Do the same for garbage or recycling bins that reside outdoors.
- Use soil to fill in low areas in lawns and landscaped areas where rainwater may collect and stand for more than seven days.
- Repair leaky outdoor faucets.
For stronger protection against mosquitoes, call Mosquito Joe of Annapolis to create a barrier around your yard to eradicate mosquitoes. Our experienced technicians are full of additional tips and take pride in talking you through issues specific to your yard on service calls. If you have any questions about mosquito control issues or what we do, please feel free to email us at [email protected].
To view the full segment, click the image below of view it here.